Monday, October 26, 2009

Clay modeling

This year during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival I decided to make a clay murti myself. This was my first attempt at clay modeling a murti, though I have done several ceramic designs on pots.
For the first time it turned out good , only that it felt that Ganapati was a little weak.. but never mind with 11 days of pooja and prasad he will definitley regain the "lamdodar" name.
Well, I used the Crayola Air Dry clay which is readily available in all the craft stores like Hobby Lobby, Micheal's.. etc..





I let it dry for a couple of days and then used different acrylic and stain glass colors to paint it.



This was a wonderful use of the "Gerber Baby Food glass bottles" , some of my friends said. I made a temple using them , decorating it with some rhinestones, painting the caps and gluing them together on glass to form a beautiful glass Temple.



Finally , the last day of Ganpati Festival, the visarjan(immersion) .. It is kind of difficult (or to say not allowed) to go to a pond/lake and do visarjan in US. So the solution was to take a big utensil(or whatever you want) fill it with water add some flowers, floating candle and lovely immersion pond is ready.. No worries..


   गणपति बाप्पा मोरया,  पुध्च्य वर्षी लवकर या!!
Hail to the God Ganesha, Come soon next year!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Poonam, I am so happy to see your all creation.
    Now you are my inspiration:-). please guide me.
    I know little bit of clay art. I m also live in USA but I m not able to find a good clay here.what kind of clay are you use? In India I used ceramic powder to make clay.
    Thank you and Keep it up.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Little Bug,
      Thanks for visiting my blog. I am glad you like my work. When I first made this Ganapti, I used "Crayola air dry clay". Then I got some clay from a pottery studio. You can also get that clay from any hobby store like "Hobby Lobby" or "Michaels" or "Pat Catans".
      It is not a powder but wet clay. I am myself trying to find a good alternative to ceramic powder. For now this works for me..

      Delete
  2. Oh, you are very talented!What a lovely ritual. I love the little Ganesh that you made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are very talented!What a lovely ritual. I love the little Ganesh that you made.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts here..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...